By Betty Among
• Announce your engagement to family and friends
• Choose a wedding Date and a date for traditional obligations.
• Get cost estimates and work on the budget
• Choose a location and reserve your ceremony and reception site
• Compile a list of requirements for the ceremony. These may include blood test results and letter of consent from girl’s parents.
• Select venue and dates for wedding meetings.
• Select a steering committee.
• Begin a rough guest list
• Decide on who you would like to have as your attendants, especially your maid of honour and best man.
• Purchase a wedding planning book or magazine
Six to four months to the wedding
• Begin shopping for brides maid’s dresses
• Order your wedding goen and buy accessories like gloves, shoes and veil as well as undergarment that you will wear with it (bring these to all fittings).
• Commence pre-marital counseling
• Choose and book service providers like Jewellerly, printer, caterer, cake baker, decorator, transporter and photographer/ video crew.
• Book your honey moon and verify that you have necessary travel documents including passports, Visas and possibly necessary inoculation.
• Book a room for your wedding night, if you will be leaving for your honeymoon the next morning
Four to two months to the wedding
• Make arrangements to move
• Arrange accommodation of out-of-town guests.
• Finalise your guest list an send out invites, this should be between three to four weeks to the wedding day.
• Purchase luggage and other travel necessities and attire for your honeymoon.
• Schedule an appointment with your beautician and hairdresser for facials and trials.
One Month to Go
• Purchase a guest book
• Plan an outing or dinner with your mum, dad, siblings or close friends.
• Plan to your wedding night room.
One week to go
• Contact your caterer with a final guest count.
• Print out a timeline of events for your wedding party and vendors. Incude contact information and mobile phone numbers
• Finalize details with all service providers
• Finalize your reception music and song list/needs.
• Schedule a final dress fitting
• Pack for your new home
• Pick up your wedding gown
• Pack for your honeymoon.
One day to the wedding day.
• Check your honey moon bag and add your toilet bag
• Treat your self to a day of pampering and sheer indulgence. While you’re at it, do your nails and if necessary part of the hairdo.
• Get your matron to pack an emergency kit which consists of
Extra under wear
Sanitary towels or pads
Comb and brush
Visine (or any eye Whitener)
Hanky or tissues
Needle and thread
Scissors and razor baldes
Painkillers, magnesium , anti running tummy, pills and band aid
Snacks like Pringles
Plus Whatever else you feel would come in handy for you